discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Friday 15 November 2013

these nachos are making me thirsty

My hubby came in from the garden the other day and said"We've been chilli-napped, someone has taken my habanero chilli seedling!"  Now I knew this wasn't possible but I humored him. "Really darl, why didn't they take the other 9 tomato and chilli seedlings then, you must have put him somewhere." Always the voice of reason, I am.  There is only one thing stopping robbers in our house and its a powered roller door and 10 metre fences, I didn't think anyone was that desperate for some burning love.
Scratching his head he headed back outside...minutes later he returned with a chewed up seedling punnet.  The bloody dog ate it! Lucky there wasn't any fruit on that seedling or we would have heard about it!!  I must stand up for my boy Magic, it seems he was only wanting to nor on the plastic, I found the seedling the next day, a little worse for wear but salvagable.  So he's back in the good books, but he better lay low for a few days.

All this chilli talk gave me a nachos craving, that and a massive amount of coriander that was going to seed and needed using up.  Now, I hate to blow my own trumpet, but these nachos would have to be the yummiest I've ever tasted.  These Mission corn chips (they are not paying me to say this...worst luck!) are fantastic, the lime and chilli even better.  Crisp, crunchy and flavour packed.  We, as a family, haven't had nachos in, well forever.  They are normally too high in cheese and I really don't like too much grease and lets face it, there have been so many Mexican sins created in kitchens~too much sour cream, cheese, refried beans to cause reflux, but I couldn't resist trying nachos with these chippies.
  The secret, I think, is to having a good splattering of cheese, is to mix the grated cheese of your choice(I used a blend of tasty and parmesan) with some good tomato passatta and create the nachos in thin layers, flicking the cheesy tomatoey concoction over it. 
                           
Teamed with this zingy, flavour packed salsa, you will be transported to 
Meh-zi-coh in no time flat! The salsa is just a perfectly ripe avocado diced, 1/2 a red onion very finely diced, a small handful of fresh coriander and mint finely chopped, 1 birdseye chilli or a few dashes of Tabasco sauce (I swore I had some in the pantry but alas....) a good squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper and give it a nice mix.  Test for seasoning don't forget.



Ah-mazing...I couldn't wait for them to come out of the oven, the chips were begging to be dipped in that zingy salsa.  The nachos only need 10-15 minutes on 180c, but I  had to make sure it tasted ok of course!  Couldn't poison the family!  My daughter had her's with just mashed avocado and lemon,  which is a pretty good start and its green!
Do you have a favourite Mexican dish that your family loves?  Do you grow your own chillis? I can't wait for summer to make our super duper hot chilli sauce!

Ciao, Jan

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...