discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Thursday 24 October 2013

If I had my child to raise over again.....


If I had my child to raise over again

If I had my child to raise over again,
I'd finger-paint more and point the finger less.
I'd do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes,
I would care to know less and know to care more.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious and seriously play.
I'd run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
I would be firm less often and affirm much more.
I'd build self esteem first and the house later.
I'd teach less about the love of power and more about the power of love.

                                                                    By Diana Loomans


Such a profound poem isn't it? Easy words, hard to live. I'm printing it out as a reminder of living in each moment.

Ciao, Jan

2 comments :

  1. I could write my own poem - one thing I'd say is - ask them if they'd like to go to Little Athletics, Art classes, extra swimming classes, singing classes rather than telling them that's what they're going to do! As adults I'm reminded of how much they hated some of these afterclass activities - they just wanted to come home and relax. Ask them don't tell them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What wise words Mariana, you have reminded me to do this as it is easy to guide your children into doing what you think they 'should' be doing. I'll ask tonight over dinner and see what comes of it. Jan x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...