discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Monday 23 September 2013

Roast Pork Sliders




We love roast pork in our house, you can read a bit more about the love affair here.  Saturday night we had these awesome roast pork sliders, which is just a flash word for a small hamburger.  Let me tell you the pile didn't last long!

Roast pork sliders
Bap rolls, allow 1-2 per person ok maybe 3
1 roasted leg of pork, with crackle of course
gravy made from the pan juices, I did use some gravox and the juices
Carve the pork with the crackle still on. for extra crackly crackle, whack the roast under the grill for 3-5 minutes.  Place 2 slices in each roll and a good drizzle of gravy and eat without delay.




I roast my meat over a wire rack with water in it so I can collect all the lovely juices and fat. I also use a meat thermometer for obvious reasons, it just takes all the guess work out of it. I pop the jug of juices into the freezer for half an hour or so and when the fat has nicely settled to the top and is rather firm, I scoop the fat off and save it to bake my roasted vegies in next time, use some of the juice to make gravy or freeze any left over for a rainy day. Perfect to add to a slow cooker meat dish.  The fat will keep for ages, I keep it in the fridge but I remember as a kid my nan had a dripping bowl in the cupboard and she would just top it up after each roast...I must ask her if she ever emptied it or if it ever goes bad.  Anyway, its a great use of one piece of meat.  We got 6 sliders, 4 serves of roast pork & vegies the night after, fat for the fridge which would equate to 50mls of oil I'd guess, and around 500mls of stock for another recipe.  Talk about run a $12 roast through its paces!


I've got a bit of a challenge coming up for October so stay tuned!

And here is a few pictures of happenings in our garden from yesterday, I love spring, everything is happening out there in the garden and the fruits of hubbies labour are so sweet.

   

This is my lemon tree above, I'm SO excited to see little babies forming, 7yrs of persistence I hope is finally paying off, please!!

The most beautiful oregano

tomatoes on the go

a new chilli for the collection


lovely lettuces




Ciao, Jan

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...