discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Tuesday 23 July 2013

My solo adventure

I have just returned from an adventure, a solo one which involved lots and lots of eating and drinking….and silence. It doesn’t matter why or how it happened, except to say I have a wonderful husband,  but it did happen and I think it’s the first time in my life that I had done anything like this on my own.  

I must admit, I was a little scared, 4 days and 3 nights….on my own. But I had lots planned- walks, cafes, reading and gazing into the distance.  I was craving some R & R and the added thrill of eating my way through my days, no scales, no counting calories, no guilt!

So off I set, but before I got to my destination, I couldn’t let hypoglycemia hit, so to be sure I stopped off at the Brewery at Forrest. www.forestbrewing.com.au 


What a great spot.  I settled on a local Brown Magpie Pinot Gris and a bowl of Seafood Chowder to warm me up, my spirits had begun to lift!



Once I stocked up on some supplies, purely for research purposes, I pumped up my Fleetwood Mac cd in the car stereo for the windy ride ahead.

The further I got into the Otways, I was enveloped in misty rain and fog and it was almost eerie, and as I neared my place of solace, Apollo Bay, I saw the biggest rainbow appear. I'm sure its because I live with a fairy, rainbow loving 6 year old girlie girl that I noticed it-  a sure sign of the coming days!!



I find my digs, just out of The Bay, unpack the car and head back into town for some supplies before I settle in for the night.  

Seriously, how good is the view!!!
A girl could get use to this.
A wine at the top pub first (or was it the bottom pub I get confused) then on to the supermarket for my dinner....salami, cheese, olives, beetroot dip and bikkies, and a little more wine, the perfect ending to a lovely day.

I'm an early bird and true to form I woke early and took a long walk along the beach. I was working up an appetite. I had a girlfriend coming for the day and we were heading to Chris's at Beacons Point for lunch. I had been dying to go there for years so was saving myself!

A gorgeous morning walk along the beach at Marengo
Chris's at Beacon Point, chriss.com.au, is high on the hills over looking Apollo Bay and Skene's Creek and it didn't disappoint. The views are spectacular to say the least and I had a feeling lunch was going to be wonderful, especially when the waitress offered us a shot of Ouzo and some complimentary olives to start off proceedings.  My girlfriend and I shared Fried local Calamari with the tastiest tartare sauce I think I've ever eaten, a long way from the jarred Masterfoods variety let me tell you.





So many delicious things to try but I eventually decided on the freshly caught Blue Eye Cod, pan seared served on wilted spinach, tomato, onion and feta, skordalia and olive tapenade. The dish was cooked to perfection.  


I don't usually care for dessert, I'm a savoury girl, but I'm a sucker for a crumble and settled on the apple and quince crumble with vanilla creme anglaise, and my girlfriend had the creme brulee which had the traditional crunchy toffee - both to die for!




I didn't even have dinner that night I was so contented. A really wonderful way to spend quite a few hours, great food and wine, great company. I was feeling truly blessed to have this opportunity.

Next morning another beautiful day awaited me, no sign of the forecast of rain and storms.

So another big walk, after a breakfast of bacon and eggs at Bay leaf cafe, home to shower and get ready for lunch. I had been asking around and decided I wanted a view to go down with my wine so upstairs to La Bimba it was.  They had lots of truffles from a farm in the Otways on the menu but I really felt like seafood, so had the fettucini marinara.








A walk around the harbour helped my delicious lunch go down, unfortunately the beach at Apollo Bay was in high tide so no chance of getting my feet wet. The yachts were a great second, my hubby and I love sailing and I was feeling homesick for my family. Should I stay or should I go? I had until tomorrow when I would head home, so I decided I'd have a big glass of wine in my trackie back at my accommodation so I couldn't drive, decision made!! Another night of no dinner.

My last supper in the bay was a gorgeous breakfast of eggs florentine at Cafe 153 www.cafe153.com.au with the most perfectly cooked poached eggs, buttery spinach, avocado and smoked salmon, what a way to end a wonderful few days away.



A friend very kindly and generously allowed me to house sit while he was away, but he owns very good accommodation that we have been staying at in Apollo Bay for a number of years now if you ever want to go and see for yourself what a little gem this area really is www.captains.net.au.
I am so relaxed I may not even have a pulse......

ciao Jan

1 comment :

  1. Ah-MAZING and so jealous!! Gorgeous pictures that have made me hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...